Angling In Ireland Forum Index Angling In Ireland

Welcome to The Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs message board

You are invited to use this message board to discuss angling topics, however you must register in order to make posts to the forums

Please be advised that postings that are argumentative and those that may detract from the enjoyment of other users of this forum will be removed.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green Party, Angling, and PETA input into "Green"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> Piking Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloatTubeAddict
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Green Party, Angling, and PETA input into "Green" Reply with quote

It occurred to me that this might be interesting here. The quotes are taken from a boards angling thread:

Quote:
In Germany, a Green Party government banned the release of caught fish on grounds of "cruelty" and essentially made the law into an "Anglers must kill all they catch" situation.
The PETA lobby within the Green movement probably had a lot to do with that. ....

Quote:
.... Its time to contact your local TD's now and dont listen to its not in the program for government as that is their standard reply to anything they are trying to get banned in the future.

Quote:
If that is to be successful, that is, to get a clear statement of support for angling in the Green party manifesto, also to get a clear rejection of PETA anti angling activism, then the approach most likely to get a good result is for the leaders of the Angling Federations to make contact together with the promise of a clear recommendation to their federation members to support or withdraw votes in numbers, based on the response from the Party.

I believe that in Germany the "kill your catch" law only applies to fish above a certain size. All anglers are required to carry a ruler and if they catch a fish below the size limit, it is returned to the water because it is undersize.
The German (Austrian too?) laws are apparently widely broken, but if a 'green' sees you release fish there you could end up in trouble.
I have heard the UK Green Party have a stated aim to ban angling eventually, if and when this becomes a realistic possibility for them.

I understand angling has a strong position here, and is big business. But does anybody actyually know for sure where the Irish Green party stands on angling and animal rights?
jkchambers

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Germany laws vary between different federal states. In many you have to kill ALL you catch nomatter how small.
Recently new laws were enacted in Switzerland. I am not 100% certain but I think these are catch and kill too
Biffo
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I wont mention the war if you dont!
The Green agenda could be the thin edge of the wedge for all field sports.
If hurting a stag is banned then why exclude smaller animals and fish?
This is the logic by which laws are extended to include things originally not contemplated by the original law.
The Greens in Ireland have been infiltrated by activists to push this agenda.
Thankfully the Eurowide recession may delay any further silly laws - but we should be vigilant.
Tight lines,
Biffo
Tommy Winder
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biffo your dead right if the greens get the ban on stag hunting they will keep going next it will be coursing of hares,shooting and fishing.They are starting with a small group of people in the ward stag hunt they have only 128 members.If all sporting groups stick together and fight as one the greens will be stopped,and they will have to be stopped because i dont like golf Mad Mad look what happened to TigeR Confused Confused Confused .Everyone has a sport that they love we have fishing, and the WARD have hunting stags or foxs.
Biffo
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyWinder,
The Greens stated policy is to ban bloodsports.
They also appear to have a policy about treating creatures equally.
It would appear then that is only a small step (for the Greens) from banning hunting stags to banning fishing.
Lets not let this happen.
Tight lines,
Biffo
F Bell
Experienced Fisherman
Experienced Fisherman

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biffo wrote:
TommyWinder,
The Greens stated policy is to ban bloodsports.
They also appear to have a policy about treating creatures equally.
It would appear then that is only a small step (for the Greens) from banning hunting stags to banning fishing.
Lets not let this happen.
Tight lines,
Biffo

Biffo, you wont have to worry about the Greens......they'll be out of business after the next General Election!
Biffo
Regular Fisherman
Regular Fisherman

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F Bell,
Time will tell.
I don't trust fundamentalists of any hue!
Tight lines,
Biffo
F Bell
Experienced Fisherman
Experienced Fisherman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Greens are the only ones that are pushing this sort of thing. They represent a very small section of the electorate. There are more pressing issues to deal with. Therefore, hopefully, their whacked out policies wont get off the ground!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Angling In Ireland Forum Index -> Piking Politics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: